Saturday 7 May 2011

making things is fun

I like to make things. Pretty things, pink things, useful things.
Recently i made a door sign, decorated a USB, made an owl pillow, made a few more pillows, and a pillow-blanket hybrid. In the past i've made scarves and multiple ceramic pieces.

This is the most recent creation. I had a new USB and wanted to make it unique. I've seen USB's inside of toys and sticks and multiple other items before so wanted to make my own. I had a toy mouse which the USB would fit into perfectly. So carefully took off her head, pulled out a little stuffing and glued the USB inside. Perfect.

I've also made a tissue box cover. It made it to fit over tissue boxes that are cubes. But i think it would look just as good (if not better) over rectangular shaped boxes.
Now you think it's cute already? Just look at it with a tissue poking out of it's blowhole. Kawaii, Kawaii!
The tissue makes it look like he's spraying lots of water out his blowhole after coming up for air. I really want to make some more, but don't know what other animals would look good with a tissue poking out of their head.

The rest of my family is also creative. I guess that's where i get it from. It's quite handy as it means we always have a stash of things i can use to build with lying around the house!
Recently we had a lot of chicken wire lying around the house so my dad came up with the idea to make chickens out of them. My dad and brother's looked amazing. Mine didn't so i tuned it into a peacock. I'm still not impressed with it though.

There's a wonderful website full of things which are handmade that i'm slightly obsessed with. especially the Kawaii jewelery section. And that website is Etsy. You can both buy and sell items on this website with a range of anything from candles to clothing. They really have it all.
Komodokat is one of my favourite sellers of Kawaii jewelry, her pieces are so cute and unique.
Just look at the cute faces on these PB&J stud earrings and the amazing detail on her Chinese takeout necklace.

If i were to ever make my own etsy profile i'm pretty certain that it would just be full of pillows and scarves. I'd be good at that!

One of the things i want to make next is a knitted jumper. Yes i know it's nearly summer, and yes i know the pattern looks ridiculously hard. But just look at the pattern on it!
Can you guess why i want it yet? OWLS! it's got a row of adorable owls around the neckline. If that isn't the most perfect knitted jumper for me i don't know what is. The pattern is available from needled for just a few pounds. It even comes in a size for 6 month olds and 12 year olds.
The only problem is that my knitting skills are very limited, the best i can do is a scarf. So i may have to ask my mum to knit it for me for Christmas. Or possibly before then so i can wear it in the autumn too. I'm giving her plenty of time too. Hopefully she'll say yes!

Making things is fun. Fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment